Our home rules are worked out at the dinner table every 4 months or so. The parents write two each, and the children select one each, with everyone having some input. At onepointt, our family rules with Mum, Dad, and 12, 14 and 15-year-old sons were written in bright textures and blue-tacked to the wall:
• No children going into each others rooms without the OK
• Everyone gets a chance to speak. No talking over.
• Use each others names, not nasty names.
• Don’t make upsets physical.
• Unpack school bags before playing.
• You must share. No teasing with sweets.
• Wash your hands if they are dirty and before meals.
Another sign on our wall in the kitchen reads:
IN OUR HOME
We Do Second Chances
We Do Mistakes
We Do I’m Sorry
We Do Funny
We Do Loud Really Well
We Do Hugs
We Do Family
We Do LOVE
Please feel free to borrow this, just as we did.
Same as the house rules - Same for everyone:
• be respectful
• treat others how you want to be treated
• help out when needed